1. Choose a Programme
Have a look here on the website or in the International Prospectus, to see what you are interested in. If you want to find out more about a particular programme you can also contact our local agent or email our International Coordinator.
Bay of Plenty Polytechnic has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students, published by the Ministry of Education. Copies of the code are available on request from this institution or from the New Zealand Ministry of Education website.
For further information on working while studying in New Zealand as an International Student, visit the NZ Study Work website.
2. Make an Application
We welcome applications at any time of the year. We recommend that you apply a minimum of two months prior to the start of the programme.
There are several ways to apply to study with us.
- Through an agent - Bay of Plenty Polytechnic has many agents around the world who are authorised to act on our behalf. These agents have a contract signed by us – please ask to see this. Agents can advise you on programmes we offer and help you enrol and obtain your student visa. Find an agent in your country.
- Online - fill out and submit the online International Student Application
- Direct - fill out the application form from the International Prospectus or download the form here: International Student Application (pdf, 249kb) and post or fax to Bay of Plenty Polytechnic (the address details are on the form). The application form is also editable so you can complete it online. Once complete you can either print it, or email it by saving it to your computer first then emailing the saved version.
Please note: If you are applying for the Graduate Diploma in New Zealand Immigration Advice (Level 7) you must complete the Online International Student Application (this includes those Agents applying on behalf of students).
Please make sure you complete all the details required on the application form, as missing information can cause delays. You should read the information provided on your personal information and The Privacy Act 1993 before completing the application.
Required documents are:
- Copy of your passport (certified/notarised as a genuine copy)
- IELTS or TOEFL test results if available (originals or certified/notarised as a genuine copy)
- Graduation certificates and transcripts of previous study, including high school and academic qualifications (certified/notarised as a genuine copy and translated into English)
- Statement of Purpose (within the International Application Form)
- Detailed CV/resume and work qualifications, where applicable (translated into English). This should include descriptions or relevant work experience, showing tasks performed and responsibilities held
- Note, some creative programmes may require you to submit a portfolio of relevant work
3. Receive your Offer of Place
Once we have processed and approved your application, you (or your agent) will receive an acceptance letter offering you a place on the programme.
If you meet all admission and entry requirements, you will receive a full Offer of Place, including notification of tuition and insurance fees, and methods of payment. Your Offer of Place will also inform you of the deadline date by which you must confirm your acceptance of the Offer of Place and make payment of your tuition fees.
If some documents are outstanding or some entry criteria have not yet been met, then a Conditional Offer of Place may be given. A full Offer of Place will be provided when all conditions have been satisfied.
4. Contact us to Discuss your Plans
Please make sure that you include us in your plans. Email the International Admissions Coordinator to discuss the course you want to take and let us know the accommodation you wish to live in, along with any assistance you may need.
5. Pay your Fees
Your Offer of Place letter will include detailed information on payment of fees and compulsory insurance. You are not able to complete enrolment at Bay of Plenty Polytechnic until full payment has been received. We will provide you with a receipt when the payment has been received. This receipt must be presented to Immigration New Zealand.
6. Apply for your Visa
Before you can come to New Zealand you will need to apply for a student visa.
Full details of visa requirements, advice on rights to employment while studying in New Zealand and reporting requirements are available through Immigration New Zealand (INZ).
Immigration New Zealand usually require you to provide the receipt showing that you’ve paid your fees, before you will receive a student visa. In some countries, you will be able to provide Immigration New Zealand with your Offer of Place and apply for an Approval in Principal (AIP) visa before paying your tuition fees.
7. Book your Flight
We advise you to book your flight to New Zealand after you've been granted your student visa. And make sure you get here in time for your orientation day! We recommend that you make arrangements too for a 25 minute connecting flight from Auckland International Airport to Tauranga.
Prior to your departure from home, it is very important that you let our International Office know your arrival details, including flight number - and arrival date and time.
8. Start at Bay of Plenty Polytechnic
Welcome to Bay of Plenty Polytechnic.
On arrival at Tauranga Airport, you will be met by a representative of the our International Pastoral Care team, who will take you to your accommodation.
You must participate in an International Orientation Day held during the week before the start of your programme. We will email you (and/or your agent) an information pack including Orientation information when we receive your tuition payment.
Contact our International Team. We're here to help you with information and support, and provide 24-hour pastoral support.