Welcome to Bay of Plenty Polytechnic - Te Kuratini o Poike. We’re committed to helping you reach your potential through supported learning, inspired teaching and programmes that provide what you - and industry - really need. This is a place to build lifelong relationships with like-minded students and passionate staff, while making essential industry contacts.
Our tutors are hand picked to ensure our students get only the very best. Passionate about what they do, they make the effort to identify their students' preferred learning styles and match them with the requirements of the courses they teach.
- Good teaching is centred on the student, motivates and facilitates learning, encourages discovery and problem solving, and celebrates successes
- Good teachers 'know their stuff', continue to keep up to date and have outstanding facilitation skills
- Good teaching is about 'transformation' – so rather than just adding to what students already know, it’s about transforming existing knowledge and creating new knowledge together
How we differ: hands-on learning
Our classes tend to be quite small, so as a student you’ll get lots of personal attention and support.
- We have 90% student satisfaction
- Students can study architecture in Denmark via our exchange programme
- Our Road Transport, Warehousing and Logistics Training Centre is the only training facility of its kind in the country
- We’ve got the best and only engineering facility of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere
- We have our own recording studio where students write, record and perform original music and create music videos
- Disney comes here to recruit students for its internship programme in the US
- Our awesome pool and gym facilities hold New Zealand Academy of Sport status - the only facility in the Western Bay to do so
Learning by doing - 75% of our students undertake work placements in industry. They also:
- Fix cars at our very own automotive workshop, Bay Auto
- Prepare meals in our training kitchens and cook for a full restaurant of 60 people
- Design garments for WOW and Westfield Style Pasifika and participate in art, graphic design and fashion exhibitions
- Help people look and feel great in our Atrium Beauty Salon
- Run a radio station
Ako Awe provides a range of services to our students, supporting all aspects of learning from study skills and academic writing to computer literacy and CV preparation.
Disability Service is here to assist with support, information and resources including reader/writer assistance, note taking services, information, specialised equipment and adaptive technology, and specialised tutoring.
The libraries at each of our main campuses provide a wide range of resource materials (books, databases, magazines, subject guides, audio tapes, CD ROMs and more). If it’s out there, we can get it for you.
Our online learning environment Moodle is a one-stop student learning shop - an integral part of many programmes making information and materials available online.
Our programmes and courses
We have four schools of study: Applied Science, Applied Technology, Business Studies and Design & Humanities, between them offering;
- 86 full courses (full programmes 40+ credits)
- 37 short courses (short awards 1-39 credits)
The Te Poutama team supports teachers in developing excellence in teaching through provision of professional development, support for technology enabled teaching, foundation learning initiatives and resource development. The team includes eight academic advisors with expertise in specialist fields.
Teaching evaluations run every year and peer observations of teaching and dedicated professional development for each tutor is available to ensure they remain at the top of their game.
NZQA external evaluation and review
Bay of Plenty Polytechnic received a ‘Highly Confident’ rating in educational performance by NZQA in the 2014 External Evaluation and Review (EER) report. We also retained our ‘Confident’ rating for capability in self-assess.
External evaluations and reviews are used to inform investors, the public, students, prospective students, communities, employers, and other interested parties about how a tertiary organisation is performing. The reports are also used by the organisation for quality improvement purposes. In their report released in December 2014 report, NZQA said that Bay of Plenty Polytechnic has a clear focus on supporting learners to stay engaged with their programmes and successfully complete them.
For the last decade, year after year, the Polytechnic’s financial performance has been very sound. We continually aim to improve our teaching and learning environment to meet and exceed industry standards; and we strive to develop institutional and staff capabilities for the future. Read our most recent Annual Report.
Life on campus - watch the videos
Our videos give you the best idea of what it's really like here. Come with us and have a look.