Diploma in Applied Computing (Level 6)
This computing and IT course develops your career as an intermediate IT professional. The Level 6 Diploma includes website development, business and project management, database systems and advanced programming.
Complete just one more year after this diploma to gain the University of Waikato’s Bachelor of Science (BSc) majoring in Computer Science with a specialisation in Applied Computing, taught right here in Tauranga.
Students benefit from strong industry connections and get plenty of opportunities to put theory into practice, using their creative and analytical skills to develop portfolios of their work to present to future employers.
Choose 120 credits from the 20 credit courses below:
20 Credit Courses
- COMP6001* GUI Programming [COMP5002]
- COMP6002* Internet and Web Development [COMP5002 & COMP5007]
- BMGT6003* Business Systems
- Choose from NZDipBus courses BMGT6001 Human Resource Management or BMGT6009 Applied Management
- INFT6001* Database Practice and Experience [COMP5002]
- INFT6002 Help Desk [INFT5001 & COMP5008]
- INFT6003 Hardware and Operating Systems [COMP5004]
- COMP6011 Data Communications – Services [COMP5004]
- BMGT6012 Project Management and QA [COMP5002, INFT5001, COMP5004 & COMP5008]
- COMP6008 Advanced Programming [COMP5002]
[ ] The number in brackets denotes prerequisites
* Compulsory for the degree pathway
- Courses are offered on a semester basis:
- 6 study weeks for November and January semesters (Summer School)
- 15 study weeks for February and July starts semesters
- For days and times of classes refer to the timetable available from the Information Centre or School of Business.
|January||Full-time||Tauranga (Bongard Centre)||One year|
|February||Full-time||Tauranga (Bongard Centre)||One year|
|February||Part-time||Tauranga (Bongard Centre)|
|July||Part-time||Tauranga (Bongard Centre)|
|July||Full-time||Tauranga (Bongard Centre)||One year|
|November||Full-time||Tauranga (Bongard Centre)||One year|
2017 domestic students $5,382.00 (for six courses i.e. $897.00 per 20 credit course)
2017 international students $19,950.00
The fee shown for domestic students is applicable to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents. If an international fee is not listed above please refer to the international fees page. All fees are indicative only and subject to change.
You MAY be eligible for a StudyLink Student Loan for your tuition fees.
Find out if your programme qualifies by visiting the Studylink website.
If you also need to pay course related costs, i.e. if outlined in programme costs above, you need to apply separately to StudyLink (up to $1,000/academic year for eligible students). Note course related costs are paid directly into your bank account by StudyLink and you will be required to pay this to Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
Upon successful completion of the programme you will receive:
- Diploma in Applied Computing (Level 6)
- Systems analyst
- Website designer/administrator/developer
- Software developer
- IT user support
- Database administrator
- Business analyst
- Computer support technician
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology PathwaysBachelor of Science (BSc) in Computer Science with Specialisation in Applied Computing
The minimum requirements for entry into this programme are:
- Successful completion of the institution's Diploma in Applied Computing (Level 5)
- or successful completion of other equivalent Level 5 programmes or qualifications which are determined by cross credits or assessment of prior learning (APL)
- or at the discretion of the Programme Coordinator
We may require you to attend an information meeting prior to your acceptance onto the course. This is your opportunity to find out more about the course to see if it fits your career aspirations and for us to ensure you meet our entry requirements.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTSInternational applicants for whom English is not their first language will be required to show evidence of language competency, issued within the last two years, before being eligible to enrol in any non-English programme. The level of competency required is outlined in Rule 18 and Appendix 2 of the NZQF Programme and Accreditation Rules 2013. And below under the title English Competency.
Level 6 certificate or diploma IELTS Academic score of 6 with no band score lower than 5.5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language L4 with the Academic Endorsement or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined in Rule 18 and Appendix 2 of the NZQF Programme and Accreditation Rules 2013.
For domestic applicants for whom English is not their first language, evidence of language competency may be required.