New Zealand Certificate in Animal Management (Companion Animals) (Level 4)
This animal care course is ideal for anyone wanting to work in a organisation caring for companion animals.
You'll carry out the day-to-day care of our animals here on campus and learn about animal behaviour, basic training, anatomy and physiology, breeding, first aid and more!
No two days are ever the same and you'll come out with valuable skills and knowledge to take with you on your career in the care and welfare of animals.
During the programme you'll study:
- Professional Skills and Ethical Code of Conduct
- Animal Behaviour and Enrichment
- Animal Biology and First Aid Practices
- Animal Handling and Restraint
- Animal Health and Husbandry
- Introduction to Veterinary Nursing
Dates/Times/LocationsPlanned intakes*: FebruaryDelivery modes: Full-timeLocations*: Tauranga (Windermere Campus)Duration: One year
* subject to change. Intakes may vary between locations.
To see full details of the next available intake please visit the application form.
2018 domestic students $5,876.00
2018 international students $19,956.00
The fee shown for domestic students is applicable to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents. If an international fee is not listed above please refer to the international fees page. All fees are indicative only and subject to change.
You MAY be eligible for a StudyLink Student Loan for your tuition fees.
Find out if your programme qualifies by visiting the Studylink website.
If you also need to pay course related costs, i.e. if outlined in programme costs above, you need to apply separately to StudyLink (up to $1,000/academic year for eligible students). Note course related costs are paid directly into your bank account by StudyLink and you will be required to pay this to Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
Upon successful completion of the programme you will receive:
- New Zealand Certificate in Animal Management (Companion Animals) (Level 4)
Graduates of this qualification are likely to be in a role as manager of the day-to-day care, welfare and/or training of animals e.g.
- self-employed dog trainer
- animal shelter worker
- owner/manager of kennels/cattery
- animal laboratory technician
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology PathwaysNew Zealand Certificate in Animal Technology strand in Veterinary Nursing Assistant (Level 5)
For those people entering this qualification direct from school the following entry requirements apply:
- have completed 36 NCEA credits at level 2
- have a minimum of 12 NCEA credits in English at Level 2 and 12 credits of a relevant science at level 1
- The New Zealand Certificate in Animal Care (Level 3)
Entry requirements for adult students:
- evidence of ability to study at a tertiary level and
- evidence of the equivalent NCEA credits as apply to school leavers, listed above
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTSInternational applicants for whom English is not their first language will be required to show evidence of language competency, issued within the last two years, before being eligible to enrol in any non-English programme. The level of competency required is outlined in Rule 18 and Appendix 2 of the NZQF Programme and Accreditation Rules 2013. And below under the title English Competency.
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language L3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined in Rule 18 and Appendix 2 of the NZQF Programme and Accreditation Rules 2013.
For domestic applicants for whom English is not their first language, evidence of language competency may be required.