New Zealand Certificate in Arts and Design (Level 4)
The aim of this programme is to encourage and support students' exploration of ideas using a range of art and design media.
You'll enjoy a range of learning experiences that enable you to make informed choices for progressing your career in the creative industry and related employment opportunities.
Teaching is through a combination of kanohi ki te kanohi (face-to-face) lectures and tutorials, small group activities, practical classes and projects in simulated work environments, and blended learning.
As a graduate of this qualification you'll be able to:
- Apply fundamental practical, conceptual and research skills in the production of arts, craft and/or design work
- Select and apply creative processes, methods and technologies to solve problems in response to a brief
- Manage projects/briefs under broad guidance, apply standard work practices, and describe potential education and employment pathways in arts, craft and/or design
- Select and present work in context, communicate ideas, and analyse work within conventions and contexts in arts, craft and/or design
Compulsory courses in this programme:
- Materials and Process
- Creative Industries
- Design Development
Elective pathways in this programme (choose one):
- Studio (Art and Design): may include paint, ceramics, drawing, printmaking, graphic design
- Studio (Toi Maori): may include ta moko designs, raranga, drawing, printmaking, graphic design
- Fashion Design Studio: may include garment construction, patternmaking
|February||Full-time||Tauranga (Windermere Campus)||1 semester|
|July||Full-time||Tauranga (Windermere Campus)||1 semester|
2017 domestic students $2,864.00
The fee shown for domestic students is applicable to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents. If an international fee is not listed above please refer to the international fees page. All fees are indicative only and subject to change.
You MAY be eligible for a StudyLink Student Loan for your tuition fees.
Find out if your programme qualifies by visiting the Studylink website.
If you also need to pay course related costs, i.e. if outlined in programme costs above, you need to apply separately to StudyLink (up to $1,000/academic year for eligible students). Note course related costs are paid directly into your bank account by StudyLink and you will be required to pay this to Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
Upon successful completion of the programme you will receive:
- New Zealand Certificate in Arts and Design (Level 4)
Graduates of this qualification will have the skills and knowledge to fill junior assistant and/or support roles in arts and/or creative industries, such as designers, technicians, machinists, or salespeople.
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology PathwaysBachelor of Creative Industries
The qualification provides a pathway to higher-level diploma or degree-level study in arts and design, such as the New Zealand Diploma in Arts and Design (Level 5) and Bachelor of Creative Industries.
- NCEA Level 2 with passes in English/Te Reo Māori or education achievement at least equivalent to NCEA Level 2; or
- evidence of ability to complete academic and any other programme requirements
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTSInternational applicants for whom English is not their first language will be required to show evidence of language competency, issued within the last two years, before being eligible to enrol in any non-English programme. The level of competency required is outlined in Rule 18 and Appendix 2 of the NZQF Programme and Accreditation Rules 2013. And below under the title English Competency.
Level 4 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language L3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined in Rule 18 and Appendix 2 of the NZQF Programme and Accreditation Rules 2013.
For domestic applicants for whom English is not their first language, evidence of language competency may be required.