New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (Level 2)
With the New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (Level 2) you'll take your first steps towards your new career or tertiary study.
There are so many career and study choices, you’ll develop your numeracy and literacy skills and gain credits towards NCEA, while you decide what career might suit you.
Develop your confidence and strengths in a fun, supportive learning environment.
This programme welcomes Youth Guarantee students.
Options within this programme include:
- Planning for the Future
- Health and Social Care
- Early Childhood Education
- Beauty Therapy
- Food and Beverage Service
- Outdoor Experience
- Introduction to Maori Tourism
- Introduction to Marae Studies
- Carpentry *
- Electrical *
- Engineering *
- Automotive *
* May also be offered together as 'Trades Pathway Strand' (available to Youth Guarantee students only). You need to be 16-19 years old and some other conditions apply. Please refer to the Youth Guarantee page for more information.
Dates/Times/LocationsPlanned intakes*: February, March, July, AugustDelivery modes: Full-timeLocations*: Kawerau, Papamoa, Rotorua (Mokoia Campus), Rotorua (Waipa Campus), Taupo, Tauranga (Windermere Campus), Tokoroa, WhakataneDuration: 1 semester
* subject to change. Intakes may vary between locations.
- Windermere and Papamoa Classes are held Monday to Thursday 9.00am-2.30pm. There is also a July offering in Windermere for the Trades Academy Pathway.
- Opotiki This offering is the Food and Beverage pathway
- Rotorua This offering is run from Harvest Church (see map), with two options available. Choose from Early Childhood and Cooking, or Fitness and Outdoor Education
- Kawerau This offering is run from Kawerau Life Konnect Charitable Trust, with two options available. Choose from Early Childhood Education and Social Services, or Automotive.
To see full details of the next available intake please visit the application form.
2018 domestic students fees-free
The fee shown for domestic students is applicable to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents. If an international fee is not listed above please refer to the international fees page. All fees are indicative only and subject to change.
You MAY be eligible for a StudyLink Student Loan for your tuition fees.
Find out if your programme qualifies by visiting the Studylink website.
If you also need to pay course related costs, i.e. if outlined in programme costs above, you need to apply separately to StudyLink (up to $1,000/academic year for eligible students). Note course related costs are paid directly into your bank account by StudyLink and you will be required to pay this to Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
Upon successful completion of the programme you will receive:
- New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (Level 2)
This qualification is designed to prepare you for further study in the career path of your choice.
You may have the opportunity to pathway into a range of Level 3 (and possibly some Level 4) programmes.
- Open entry
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTSInternational applicants for whom English is not their first language will be required to show evidence of language competency, issued within the last two years, before being eligible to enrol in any non-English programme. The level of competency required is outlined in Rule 18 and Appendix 2 of the NZQF Programme and Accreditation Rules 2013. And below under the title English Competency.