New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation - Police and Services Pathway (Level 3)
Are you interested in a career with the NZ Police, Army, Navy, or Air Force? To get in to Police College or one of the Services, you'll need to pass some aptitude and fitness tests - sometimes referred to as the Testing Day.
This course has two broad focuses. The first is all around the various entry tests for the Police and Services and includes fitness skills, maths, English, and abstract reasoning.
The second focus is on the theory, information, and knowledge you'll need for the Service you're going into. You'll study the history and the role of the Service you're interested in and how it operates in the community as well as internationally.
All your tutors are ex-New Zealand Police officers or ex Defence personnel, and we have a dedicated team of staff to help you with additional tutoring support for maths and English if you need it.
During your study you'll cover topics that might include:
- Identifying interpersonal skills and interests and collating a personal profile
- Identifying your cultural influences and your identity to the whenua, and reflecting on wider family/whānau goals
- Matching your skills and interests to career pathways including Police, Navy, Army and Air Force and consider the roles of these organisations in the community
- Time and resource management
- Physical training goals
- Planning and managing a work project and writing reports
- Personal presentation
- Problem solving and communication
- Study skills
- Stress and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Communication; interpersonal, verbal and non-verbal, and written
You will have the opportunity to complete an optional First Aid Certificate (additional cost).
|February||Full-time||Tauranga (Windermere Campus)||1 semester|
2018 domestic fees $2,800.00
The fee shown for domestic students is applicable to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents. If an international fee is not listed above please refer to the international fees page. All fees are indicative only and subject to change.
You MAY be eligible for a StudyLink Student Loan for your tuition fees.
Find out if your programme qualifies by visiting the Studylink website.
If you also need to pay course related costs, i.e. if outlined in programme costs above, you need to apply separately to StudyLink (up to $1,000/academic year for eligible students). Note course related costs are paid directly into your bank account by StudyLink and you will be required to pay this to Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
Upon successfully meeting the requirements you will receive:
- New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 3)
- First Aid Certificate (if completed separately)
- Constable with the New Zealand Police
- Sailor with the Royal New Zealand Navy
- Soldier with the New Zealand Army
- Airman with the Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Corrections officer
Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology PathwaysNew Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 4)
- Further study at Level 4
- Royal New Zeal Police College
- Trade qualifications with the Services; Royal New Zealand Navy, New Zealand Army, Royal New Zealand Air Force
- Level 1 NCEA with 10 Literacy Credits and 10 Numeracy Credits
Applicants who do not meet the academic requirements may be given special admission if Toi Ohomai is satisfied they are capable of meeting the academic requirements.
Domestic applicants aged 20 years or above who do not meet the academic entry requirements, but whose skills, education or work experiences indicate that they have a chance of success, may be eligible for special admission.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTSInternational applicants for whom English is not their first language will be required to show evidence of language competency, issued within the last two years, before being eligible to enrol in any non-English programme. The level of competency required is outlined in Rule 18 and Appendix 2 of the NZQF Programme and Accreditation Rules 2013. And below under the title English Competency.
Level 3 certificate IELTS General or Academic score of 5 with no band score lower than 5 or completed NZ Certificate in English Language L3 with an endorsement of either General, Workplace or Academic, or meets a relevant English Proficiency Outcome as outlined in Rule 18 and Appendix 2 of the NZQF Programme and Accreditation Rules 2013.
For domestic applicants for whom English is not their first language, evidence of language competency may be required.