Created specifically for people aged 16 to 19 the Youth Guarantee programme provides opportunity for new direction, and the confidence to succeed.
The programme is designed to consider the whole person – social, academic and employability skills. The free courses includes plenty of fun, challenging outdoor activities to grow confidence and break down social barriers, and the low student to teacher ratio creates a supportive environment.
There are absolutely no course fees or equipment costs and assistance with transport is available. With the choice of career options, students can soon be on the way to a new career and if there are barriers to learning we’ll try and figure out what they are.
These courses have a blend of off-campus and on-campus learning with an emphasis on personal development, future goals and study tools.
If you have questions about the Youth Guarantee Programme please contact Phyllip Tapsell on 0800 86 46 46 ext.8717 / 027 403 2311 or email Phyllip
The options of study for 2017 are listed below.
Cookery & Hospitality
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 3) Learn to prepare, cook and present a full range of basic dishes
- New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (Level 2) Develop your confidence and strengths, in a fun, supportive learning environment.
- New Zealand Certificate in Foundation Skills (Level 2) - Trades Pathway Build the foundations for your career in one of the trades
IMPORTANT: the venues, start dates and durations vary between courses. Please visit the course page above that you're interested in for the specific details and you'll be able to apply from there.
|February||Full-time||Tauranga (Windermere Campus / Marae)||1 semester|
|July||Full-time||Tauranga (Windermere Campus / Marae)||1 semester|
|Various||Full-time||Tauranga (Windermere Campus / Marae)||One year|
FREE (special conditions apply)
The fee shown for domestic students is applicable to New Zealand citizens and permanent residents. If an international fee is not listed above please refer to the international fees page. All fees are indicative only and subject to change.
You MAY be eligible for a StudyLink Student Loan for your tuition fees.
Find out if your programme qualifies by visiting the Studylink website.
If you also need to pay course related costs, i.e. if outlined in programme costs above, you need to apply separately to StudyLink (up to $1,000/academic year for eligible students). Note course related costs are paid directly into your bank account by StudyLink and you will be required to pay this to Toi Ohomai Institute of Technology.
We offer a supported space to help young people figure out what they are good at, to think about their future and plan what they need to do to get there. This course provides numeracy and literacy credits towards NCEA Level 2 which helps students get the qualifications they need to move on to higher tertiary study.
This qualification prepares our students for entry-level roles in industry but also opens their eyes to a range of other tertiary study options.
An important benefit of the Youth Guarantee programme is that students get comfortable with tertiary level study and campus life, which helps them transition into further courses of their choice.
On completion of their course, graduates will have the skills to start entry level roles in these industries or can pursue further tertiary studies. Please refer to the specific course pages for details.
- Youth Guarantee pays the course fees for up to one year of study; some course materials (pens, books, tools, etc.) may be required at the student’s expense
- Youth Guarantee aims to provide students with NCEA Level 1 or NCEA Level 2 as well as credits toward the qualifications listed
- Students enrolled in Youth Guarantee aged 16 to 17 years are not eligible for student loans or allowances administered by StudyLink; they may be eligible for the Independent Youth Allowance through Work and Income
- Students aged 18 to 19 years old can access the Student Loan Scheme for living costs and course-related costs and will be eligible for student allowances
- Priority will be given to students who have not yet achieved NCEA Level 1 or NCEA Level 2
- Youth Guarantee students will be required to complete an online literacy and numeracy assessment and put together an individual learning plan. Additional learning support is available at no cost
- You may be invited to attend an information meeting with tutors to discuss the programme in more detail and to have a look at our facilities
Who can apply?
New Zealand citizens or residents who are:
- aged between 16 and 19 at time of course start date; or
- 15 years old with early leaving exemptions from the Ministry of Education; and no longer enrolled in a secondary school